Protecting your hair while still swimming in chemically treated pools.

Q: My question is regarding chlorine in pools. I swim a lot as my main form of exercise. I soak my hair before my swim to prevent excessive absorption, and rinse it off afterwards, but I am curious if this counts as continual chemical treatment, as described on the FAQ page . Also, if you do recommend that I use your product, which line would best fit with my penchant for the lap pool?

A:

Try to avoid swimming in pools treated with chemicals. (There are some pools out there that use salt and/or UV light to keep the water from being overrun with bacteria instead of using the conventional toxic pool chemicals.) To protect one's body and hair from toxic chemicals attacking the hair and skin and to help to prevent some chemicals from penetrating the body, we have often suggested the following:

1. Wear a bathing cap when swimming – there are some natural rubber ones out there.

2. Apply some of our Moisture Cream (a product a little bit down on this Fragrance Free Facial Care Line page) or, better still, one of our Body Cremes with organic beeswax to the hair before swimming to help repel the water laced with chemicals. After swimming, to remove any chemical residues, cleanse the hair (and body) using the Body Wash and vinegar rinse method (as described in number five of our Hair Wash instructions article – link on the hair care page of our web site), then repeat the process and/or use the Pure Earth Hair Wash as the second cleansing step.

3. Apply one of our Body Cremes with organic beeswax to the face and body – use all over as a gentle preventative barrier – before swimming to help repel the water laced with chemicals. This has the added benefit of being moisturizing for the skin.